By Elizabeth Farrell Zaski, COO of Lifelines Academy & Network
Whether you are a realtor, builder, architect or a designer being able to educate your senior clients and provide a “Safety for Seniors” tip list can really increase trust and build a great foundation for business referrals.
Show your senior customers that you care and that you understand designing for independency and universal design. Let them know your goal is to keep them safe and comfortable in their home for as long as possible.
Five Safety Recommendations for Seniors:
- Be sure the stove and sink areas are well lighted and free of any electrical cords.
- Point out rugs that are torn or worn, tell your senior customers to avoid throw rugs; all of these can cause slipping.
- Note if light switches are not located at the top and bottom of stairways and at the ends of long hallways and suggest they hire an electrician to add switches if needed.
- Shadowed or dark areas can cause tripping hazards, suggest that your senior customers use high wattage bulbs, better yet give them some as a gift.
- Suggest that hand bars are installed on the walls by the bathtub and toilet and be sure to tell them there are now many attractive alternatives to choose from.
Little safety tips go a long way to making your senior customers feel you care and helping them to continue to live independently and hazard free!