“Beyond Driving with Dignity” Professional Certification Training is offered by Keeping Us Safe, LLC, a company founded by Lifelines Network member Matt Gurwell whose passion to help people experiencing diminished driving skills move from the driver’s seat to the passenger seat emerged during his 24 years as an Ohio State Trooper. Tragedies can be avoided and independence can be maintained with the proper training, approach, programs and services!
Matt began fulfilling his mission by publishing a wonderful guidebook for use by both families and professionals entitled “Beyond Driving with Dignity: The workbook for the families of older drivers”. The Beyond Driving with Dignity Professional Certification Training is the next logical step in comprehensively tackling a growing challenge.
- Most people will outlive their driving capability. Men by an average of six years and women by an average of 10 years. Source: US Department of Health and Human Services www.longtermcare.gov
- Roughly 19% of Americans, or 13.9 million people, will need alternatives to driving in order to continue living independently in 2030. Source: US Census Bureau 2008.
Students will learn skills to:
- Evolve a concerned family’s opinion and speculation into solid, tangible facts
- Help the older driver and his or her family make appropriate driving related decisions
- Provide a viable, practical plan that will help ensure a smooth driving retirement, or in helping the older driver self-impose appropriate driving restrictions
- Create a culture of ongoing support to help the older driver and his/her family meet transportation needs
- Ensure there is minimal disruption to the older driver’s personal independence, dignity and feelings of self-worth during this transition process, and beyond
This is not a program to train you to do driving assessments. It will, however, provide you with a common-sense approach to facilitate and mediate rational driving-related solutions based on facts and personal observations. This is therefore, an excellent service to incorporate into home care, geriatric care management, transition and caregiver coaching, elder mediation, insurance agents, social workers, discharge planners, elder law attorneys, as well as financial and estate planners, etc. The program may qualify for CEUs in your discipline.
The “Beyond Driving with Dignity” Professional Certification Training is offered in cities throughout the United States in 2011 and throughout 2012. This course is not yet offered online. To view the course description, schedule of training dates and to register, visit: www.keepingussafe.org - Register Now >>
Disclaimer: Lifelines Academy & Network has no ownership or control over the Beyond Driving with Dignity Training and Certification program; customer service requests related to this training should be directed to Keeping Us Safe, LLC by calling 877-907-8841 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org